Home > Socializing: Just for the Good of It
For people with disabilities it is often difficult to get out and enjoy dinner with a friend or go to a movie. In order to lead a healthy and productive life, we need more than a roof over our heads and food on the table. We all need friends to talk to, share with and depend on in times of need.
To help build our social skills and our life skills, we plan occasional gatherings with the emphasis on having a good time and participate in others for the good of the community.
Socializing and education often happen at the same time. There is always something happening at Mountain State Centers for Independent Living. Read highlights of some of our most notable events.
Walk for Independence 2012
Be sure and join us for the ninth annual Walk for Independence 2012. This year we will be walking in Ritter Park in Huntington on July 21, starting at 8 a.m.
- Mountain State Centers for Independent Living in Beckly is having its annual food drive - the Second Annual Tommy Sizemore Food Drive. Learn more about it and how you can participate.
- On Veteran's Day, Mountain State Centers for Independent Living in Beckley delivered home made cookies and thank you cards to the VA Hospital in Beckley. Robert Estep, Director of Patient Recreation, said that the veterans enjoy our visits and appreciate the recognition and cookies.
- Mountain State Centers for Independent Living 30th Anniversary Celebration. Day long celebration ending with a Halloween Ball! Come as you are - or whoever you want to be. Learn more.
- Eighth annual Walk for Independence 2011, held Saturday July 23 at Ritter Park in Huntington. Read the recap of the Walk.
- Push America - Journey of Hope at MTSTCIL 2007 Huntington, August 2, 2007 and Beckley, August 4, 2007
- Fourth annual Walk for Independence 2007, Saturday, July 21 in Huntington, WV. Read the recap of Walk for Independence 2007
- Beckley's 19th Anniversary Celebration picnic, June 21, 2007
- Race for the Cure, May 5, 2007, Charlestown, WV